Re: LVS and NFS

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS and NFS
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Shain Miley <smiley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 17:20:59 -0400
Well I am not 100% sure on the implementation..I am trying to get an
idea in my head about the best way to go about this.  Right now we have
an IMAP server running WU-IMAP.  This one machine is doing both IMAP and
SMTP.  I plan to split these services up and smtp can be delt with by
another less powerful machine.
Users will also be using some sort of webmail (IMP/HORDE) to get their
mail when they are off site...other than that standard Eudora/Netscape
will be used for retrieval.
The real servers would need access to both the users home directories as
well as the /var/mail directory. I am not too familiar with the actual
locking problems...I understand the basics but I also hear that NFS V3
was supposed to fix some of the locking issues with V2...I also saw some
links to GFS,AFS,etc not too sure how they would work...also I thought
about samba and only found one post from last year where someone was
going to try it but there was no more info there.  I am very willing to
take suggestions :-)
Thanks,
Shain