Re: LVS and NFS

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS and NFS
From: "Don Hinshaw" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 23:27:29 -0000
Shain Miley <smiley@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Hi,
> I am new to the list and I was wondering if someone could either provide
> a link or some details about the maturity of LVS and the available
> 'shared disk' options.  I am planning on setting up an LVS IMAP cluster
> and I am trying to figure out if I should use NFS or if a better option
> is available.  I read some posts that talk about file locking problems
> with NFS that might cause mailbox corruption.  This cluster will support
> 500-700 users.  Do you think NFS will do the trick or is there a better
> (faster, journaling) file system out there that will work in a
> production environment?  Thanks in advance?
> Shain

I do this. I use Qmail as it stores the email in Maildir format, which uses
one file per message as opposed to mbox which keeps all messages in a single
file. On a cluster this is an advantage since one server may have a file
locked for writing while another is trying to write. Since they are locking
two different files it eases the problems with NFS file locking.

Courier also supports Maildir format as I believe does Postfix.

-=dwh=-

http://www.OpenRecording.com For musicians by musicians.
Now with free Web-Based email too!