Re: WLC connections

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: WLC connections
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:42:02 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 30 May 2001, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> On 2001-05-30T15:00:57,
>    Stuart Fox <stuart@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> > Does the WLC module account for memory usage or is it
> > just load?  if not can it be made to do it?
>
> It accounts for whatever you use to compute the weight of the server.

You can put in any weight you want,  I typically just use raw CPU power,
everything else being equal.  The LVS with WLC counts the number of
connections to each machine and load balances based on the least number of
connections and the weight you assign each server.  LVS is LAYER 3 (IP)
which means it doesn't know or care about HTTP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, ... etc
It doesn't know that one connection may be downloading a BIG image and
another doing a massive database query that eats every last bit of RAM on
the system.  As far as LVS is concerned they are just two connections
lasting for a certain period of time.

If all of your machines in the cluster are the same CPU/memory you should
use the LC method of load-balancing because it is a bit faster.

-Matt

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com