Re: ipvsadm interaction with iptables

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jo2y@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ipvsadm interaction with iptables
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:16:32 -0400
James O'Kane wrote:
> I had a problem last night
> that I tracked down to a rule in my FORWARD chain that was a little to
> strict.

Here's the relevent part from a posting by Roberto Nibali on 21 May this year
when I asked about FORWARDING with iptables.

Joe
------------------------------------

> I see packets only in the INPUT and OUTPUT chains, but not in FORWARD or
> or in lvs_rules chains. Have I done something wrong?

Hmm, how does the ruleset look like? If you're dealing with netfilter,
packets don't travel through all chains anymore. Julian once wrote
something about it:

packets coming from outside to the LVS do:

        PRE_ROUTING -> LOCAL_IN(LVS in) -> POST_ROUTING

packets leaving the LVS travel:

        PRE_ROUTING -> FORWARD(LVS out) -> POST_ROUTING

>From the iptables howto:
COMPATIBILITY WITH IPCHAINS
       This iptables is very similar to ipchains  by  Rusty  Rus­
       sell.   The  main  difference is that the chains INPUT and
       OUTPUT are only traversed  for  packets  coming  into  the
       local  host  and  originating  from the local host respec­
       tively.  Hence every packet only passes through one of the
       three  chains;  previously  a  forwarded packet would pass
       through all three.
~
~