Re: primary/backup and ability to start a service?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: primary/backup and ability to start a service?
From: Paul Baker <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:35:55 -0500
Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
Hi guys,

Does LVS support a primary/backup type of scenario? Aside from load
balancing, I would like to be able to have a setup where I can have a
primary database server and one or more hot backup servers.

So if the primary goes down, LVS then not only redirects to the backup,
but also starts up the database service as part of "bringing it up".

The main reason is because it's very difficult to get useful replication
out of something like mysql, so instead I thought of having a primary with
one or more hot backups, and the data shared over NFS. The hot backups
typically would not even be running the daemon, that way there's no
problems with the shared data. But if the primary goes down, then the
backup can take over, starting up the daemon.

Anyways, can LVS be setup to do that rather than load-balancing? And also,
can it run a script when it brings up the secondary?

You would be MUCH better off using heartbeat provided at http://www.linux-ha.org/. It provides all of those things you requested. And you won't even need to use a modified kernel or extra machines besides your primary and backup database servers.
Paul J. Baker                                Internet Systems Developer
pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                  Where2GetIt.com
phone 847-498-0111x234
fax   847-480-7422