Re: Real Server Monitoring

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Real Server Monitoring
From: Radu-Adrian Feurdean <raf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:46:56 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Jason Steenblik wrote:

> I am running ipvs 0.8 on a 2.4.3 kernel and need to monitor the
> availability of my smtp realservers.  What is the best method of doing
> this?
>
> >From my reading and short testing this is what I found (I think).
>
> Mon worked but didn't seem as elegant as the others.

> ldirectord doesn't work for smtp realserver.

It should. If I remember well it has a "generic TCP" connection check that
only verifies if a TCP connection to the specified host:port is possible or
not. There is also a sample for checking telnet on real servers in the default
config.

> Keepalived doesn't work with 2.4 kernels.

Didn't test but I saw no mention of this. It should work because it is only
userspace.

> Are the above statements true or false?  Does anyone have any advice
> about what to use to monitor the smtp boxes?

Radu-Adrian Feurdean
mailto: raf@xxxxxxxx
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.