unexpected outgoing behavior

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: unexpected outgoing behavior
From: "James O'Kane" <jo2y@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 21:29:15 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,
        I think I have everything up and running, but I just noticed
something that I didn't expect, so I'm not sure what's causing it. It's
what I want, but I didn't set things up like I thought I needed to, so I'm
not sure why it's happening :)

I'm using LVS-NAT. I have the director with external IP of x.x.x.254 and
eth0 aliases of x.x.x.242 (and others). I have a real server at y.y.y.2.

For this machine, I don't actually need load balancing, so I'm just using
it as a glorified port forwarder, until I read about -DNAT in iptables.
I have:
[root@router1 /root]# ipvsadm -L -n
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port             Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  x.x.x.243:22 lc
  -> y.y.y.2:22                 Masq    1      0          0

I also have the director setup to NAT out going connections.

I hope that's enough of a setup explanation.

The odd thing I'm seeing is if I start an ssh connection from y.y.y.2 to a
machine out on the internet, the source IP that the remote host sees is
x.x.x.242 and not the IP of the director (x.x.x.254) like I expected.

I thought that LVS would only mess with incoming connections and not
outgoing ones, so it surprises me that this is happening (not that I mind,
I just want to know why?)

thanks
-james