RE: FW: Problems with LVS-DR/FWMARK and director as gateway

To: Jake Garver <garver@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: FW: Problems with LVS-DR/FWMARK and director as gateway
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:06:38 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Jake Garver wrote:

> I got the idea that I could do this from the HOWTO, in fact it explicitly
> says the following:
> "9.9 fwmark allows LVS-DR director to be default gw for realservers
> --> If a LVS-DR director is accepting packets by fwmarks, then it does not
> have a VIP. <-- The director can then be the default gw for the realservers
> (see LVS-DR director is default gw for realservers)."

        Yes, the fwmark only selects routes but only the local route
delivers the traffic. If you play in 2.4 you can see that some network
tricks depend on the fact whether your routes are symmetric. In the case
with the replacing the local addresses with local routes (assuming not
in table "local") you can notice that you can't talk with such addresses
to the world. This involves the ICMP replies that LVS sometimes sends.
In 2.4 they are not sent in such cases. You need valid local routes in
table "local". Of course, there are patches to fix this behavior but I
didn't tried them.

> I don't want to whine about the HOWTO.  In fact, I found the
> HOWTO to be an excellent source of information.  Thank you very much,
> Joseph.
>
> This section confused me because it implies a connection between fwmarks and
> the
> local delivery requirement.  But I know now that fwmarks still require the
> packet
> to be delivered locally.  The VIP can be removed with or without fwmarks.

        Yep

> Jake Garver

Regards

--