Problems setting up a Linux Virtual Server in Combination with a Reverse

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Problems setting up a Linux Virtual Server in Combination with a Reverse Proxy
From: knut@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:17:08 +0200
Hello,

i am having a bit of trouble installing a linux virtual server setup,
working as a load balancer. the whole setup looks perhaps a bit
strange, but it is used as a test setup, and as such, should only
"emulate" the real situation.

i am not quite sure if the setup i am planning is supported by the
project, and haven't found anything in the documentation.

i am using a linux machine, running on kernel 2.2.14, patched with
the corresponding ipvs-patch.
on the machine there is also running a apache-web-server 1.3.12,
working as a reverse proxy.

as real server, there is on sun machine, on which there are eight
independent web-servers running.

the concept is the following:

There are four webservers (as named virtual hosts) on the apache
running, each pointing to one port on the ip of the loadbalancer (on
the same machine).
The loadbalancer should distributed the traffic for one webserver to
two on the sun. basically, it's the same setup, but four times.

all machines are part of the same network, the linux machine has
two ip-adresses, one for the loadbalancer, one for the machine
itself.
the gateway on the realserver is set to the real ip of the linux
machine.

now, i was experimenting the setup first with an windows nt
machine with an apache as webserver, in order to get the load
balancer into running, but somehow, there are no request forwarded
from the load balancer to the actual webservers, as i found out
using a tcpip traffic viewer.
Even using a local server didn't somehow worked for me.

perhaps somebody can give me a hint, if the planned setup is
possible!

cu knut
knut@xxxxxxxxx
Nuremberg / Germany

"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry,
I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness.
I want sin. [...] I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
(Aldous Huxley, "A brave new world")
In Memoriam: Simon (1999), Salla (2001)
This E-Mail is intended for the use of the addressee only and may
contain confidential information.
use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you receive this transmission in error, please notify me immediately
then delete this E-Mail.