RE: LVSGSP

To: pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: LVSGSP
From: "Alexandre CASSEN" <alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:43:52 +0100
Hi peter,

If you want to secure access to MRTG DataSource, we can handle that point :

1. Use a separate HTTP server and run on the LVS director a secure copy to
the HTTP server. like SCP for instance.
2. We can run on the LVS director a RSYNC the MRTG stats to the HTTP server
(the same philosophy as 1.)
3. Use a NFS link (or a like) to the HTTP server. The MRTG stats are
generated dierctly into that network mount point.
4. Alternative solution : use a inetd entry into the LVS director :

  4.1 : Set the inetd.conf file : Append entry :
   # lvs-stats      stream  tcp     nowait root /usr/local/bin/lvs-stats

  4.2 : Set the services file : Append entry :
   # lvs-stats      7777/tcp

  4.3 : restart inetd : killall -HUP inetd

that way a telnet to lvs director port 7777 will display the stats, we can
even mix this method with tcpwrapper to filter IP address granted to access
the port.
=> You can delocalize access to DataSource that way.
=> This solution imply that one port is open for each lvs MRTG data
source...

There is other solutions but the 4 ennounced are the main. If you want to
use 4. a simple script is needed. If you are interrested on it I can create
it ...

Best regards,
Alexandre