Re: MAC address on dummy0

To: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MAC address on dummy0
Cc: Alexandre Cassen <Alexandre.Cassen@xxxxxxxxxx>, "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:51:11 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Roberto Nibali wrote:

> I'm figuring out how to poll the mdio[1] bit from the MII beat interface.
> The nice thing about this is, that if this flag atomically has the link
> status set, independant of the software, so we don't need a daemon to
> check the link connectivity.
>
> Basically you do:
>   o mii_val[1] = mdio_read(sock, 1);
>   o if (!(mii_val[1] & MII_BMSR_LINK_VALID)){
>         dev->flags &= ~IFF_UP
>     }
>   o Then you take the patch (dead gateway detection) Julian sent to the
>     netdev list 1 month ago and this patch will detect this !IFF_UP and
>     mark the routing entry as dead. This could work, but could also not
>     work, I haven't tried it yet :)

        I have a fresh version of this patch for 2.2.19, there is one
bug in the kernel that is fixed in 2.4 but not in 2.2 because it can't
be triggered without this patch. But this patch is at work, Monday.

>   o The problem is, that this doesn't really solve your problem with the
>     VMAC. But maybe we find a way where we don't need a VMAC on dummy0.

        Yes, this patch is for real gateways, not for intermediate
routers. But may be soon I'll try to move the nexthop ARP failure to
a dead route and to use this patch on intermediate routers. This is
only idea for now.

> > For my topology I have 2 NICs, one to serve the LAN and the other for the
> > WAN => LVS NAT in my setup test.
>
> Is the second card a wanpipe card? If so, this will change a lot anyway.
> Packet generation in wanpipe devices works different to "normal" net device
> driver package build.

        Hm, what is the strange here? BTW, except wanpipe I don't know
any other net driver that changes the route DEAD flag. Anyway, some
parts of the kernel do not allow one fully to extend the possibility
to use the DEAD flag. You can't create routes in dead state. And the
routing daemons currently can't use many routing tables :( But patches
exist.

> Take care,
> Roberto Nibali, ratz

Regards