Re: Directors - how fast??

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Directors - how fast??
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Sep 2001 01:36:34 +0200
"Matthew Clark" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have a couple of dual PIII 1Ghz machines - I would like to set up
> an LVS system but feel that these are somewhat over-powered for
> 'Directors'.  I could use them for web or application layer machines
> but then need a couple of boxes for the Directors...
>
> Can anyone suggest a spec for these machines?  The load on the boxes
> is relatively light (would probably never exceed 100Mb/sec).  I
> would have thought a single processor PIII with IDE would be more
> than adequate??

Yes, you don't really access the disk at all.  You need a bit of RAM,
especially if you have persistent connections.  128 MiB is enough for
most people, specify 256 MiB and it's enough for even the busiest
sites.  A 300 MHz CPU is fine.

There is some information in the HOWTO if you want to calculate RAM
requirements exactly.

Kjetil T.