Re: Balancing outgoing traffic

To: ja@xxxxxx
Subject: Re: Balancing outgoing traffic
Cc: <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Alexandre CASSEN" <alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:14:49 +0100
Re,

>> As we said in different anteriors post, the only way to use VRRP on a
>> director
>> (LVS or other) owning multiple NICs is to run a VRRP instance per NICs
>> since
>> VRRP can be view as a routing protocol & synchronization between VRRP
>> instances
>> must be handled using part of VRRP protocol (synchronization using high
>> level
>> priority advert).
>
>    Yes, may be it is difficult to me to understand all details
>of your work, may be because I'm busy with other patches :)

Or probably my poor english :)

Well in fact it can be quickly summarize as :

I am concidering LVS-NAT director box with 2 NICs (=> LVS1, eth0 for WAN &
eth1 for LAN). I want to setup a second LVS-NAT director (=> LVS2) to
handle director failover. So I setup exactly the same hardware and software
configuration on both LVS1 & LVS2. Then to handle director failover I want
to use VRRP. So I create VRRP VIP on LVS1 where VIP is master on LVS1 eth0
interface (symetricly VRRP VIP backup on LVS2 eth0 interface).

The VIP is created (a VRRP VIP), then I use this VRRP VIP to configure my
LVS ipvsadm rules on the both LVS1 & LVS2. So if LVS1 eth0 fails, LVS2 eth0
takeover.

The question is here : when takeover appear (LVS1 eth0 fails) we need to
synchronize eth1 too. I was thinking on this synchronization : to handle a
good synchronization, IMHO, we need to run another VRRP instance onto the
eth1 interface. that way, when eth0 fails our software implementation tells
to set VRRP instance running on eth1 into backup state. And so VRRP VIP
will be master on the same director at a time (eth0 & eth1). So we will
never have the case where VRRP VIP is master on LVS1 eth0 and backup on
LVS1 eth1.

=> So postulat : We need to run a VRRP instance per physical interface to
handle director failover using VRRP.

This is the part of soft I am currently working on.

Regards,
Alexandre