Re: Please Help

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bhatter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Please Help
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:16:23 -0400
Bill Hatter wrote:

> Hello all,

Hi Bill,
        Your network diagram didn't survive e-mailing (see below)
I assume you have a routing problem since the LVS seems to work.
Can you send the diagram again, no more than 66 char wide

> Here is the ASCII drawing of my Network (I hope)
>
>         -------------
>         |               |      65.88.136.33
>       |  Router |------------------------TO INTERNET
>         |               |
>         -------------
>                 |------------------------
>                   ----------|                   |           |--------
>                   |         |           |         |             |
>         ----------------        |  -----------------  |  --------------
>         | 65.88.136.60 |        |  |             |  |  |65.88.136.62|
>         |  Domain          |  |  |               |  |    |  Load          |
>  (192.168.101.1)
>       |Controller          |  |--|  Network      |--|  | Balancer
> |----------------
>         |192.168.101.20|     |  Switch   |       |65.88.136.61|
>         ----------------           -----------------     --------------
>                 |                                            |
> -------------------------|(65.88.136.61)                |
>                 |                       |                       |
>                 |               --------------- ---------------
>                 |               |65.88.136.61 |   |65.88.136.61 |
>                 |               |Real Server 1|         |Real Server 2|
>                 |             |           |     |                 |
>                 |               |192.168.101.2|   |192.168.101.3|
>                 |               --------------- ---------------
>         -------------           |                       |
>         |               |               |                       |
>       |  Network  |------------------------------
>         |  Switch       |
>         -------------
>
> |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
>         ---------------
>         |192.168.101.x|
>       |  Network          |
>         | Computers       |
>         ---------------
>
> I hope this makes sense. If not, let me know, and I will try to clarify.
>
> Ok, now a verbal description.
>
> My Director has 2 nics, one is RIP 65.88.136.62 and the other is RIP
> 192.168.101.1, I set the RIP 65.88.136.62 to be VIP 65.88.136.61.

I presume your inside NIC is the 65.x.x.x (this is called the DIP) and
the outside one has the VIP on it (the other IP of 65.88.136.62 is not involved
here).

 This
> connects to the two RealServers. These RealServers then Gateway to the
> Domain Controller of 192.168.101.20.

what is a domain controller is regular-speak? a switch/router...?

> When I attempt to telnet to my two Real Servers from my computer
> (192.168.101.10) using the VIP, I connect fine and get a response. Also from
> HTTP and FTP. However, if I walk across the hall to a computer on a
> different subnet (192.168.100.x) which uses a different
> gateway(65.88.136.34), I get acknowledgements on my Director with a tcpdump
> command. However, I get no connection.

I assume you mean that by running tcpdump on the director, you see packets
arriving for the VIP.

> I don't understand why I can see the website while I'm on the LAN, but can't
> over a WAN(or Internet)

I can probably figure out what this means, but since WAN and LAN are
marketing-speak,
can you instead say something like

"I can connect to the VIP on the director from the same network as the VIP,
but I can't connect from the network on the other side of the router which
connects to the director"

or whatever is going on.

I probably would have been able to see it from the network diagram if it
had survived.