Re: LD Slowstart

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LD Slowstart
From: "mack@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 07:52:21 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Serge Sozonoff wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does an LVS + 3rd Party combo have anything similar to Cisco LD's
> "slowstart" feature.
>
> i.e. When a server is brought back into service, do not bombard it with
> tons of packets. Bring it up slowly.

I call this the "thundering herd" problem in the HOWTO. This was supposed
to have been put in the ip_vs code at least 2 yrs ago in response to this
problem being reported, but I haven't looked in there to see if it really
was put in and I haven't tested it.

I guess you could bring up an extra realserver in the middle of a full
bore test and see if it dies from overload.

Joseph Mack, mack@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux Virtual Server project
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org