RE: LVS and ethernet Bridgeing

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: LVS and ethernet Bridgeing
From: Radu-Adrian Feurdean <raf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:27:23 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Serge Sozonoff wrote:

> Hi,
>
>       >the client sends a packet with src=CIP, dst=VIP (abbreviated
> CIP->VIP),
>       >the realserver receives a packet with the dst rewritten
> (CIP->RIP). The
>       >realserver replies (RIP->CIP). If this arrives at the client
> directly
>       >(as happens when you don't have the director as the default gw
> of the realservers),
>       >the packet is not recognised at part of any request the client
> made.
>       >The reply packets have to be masqueraded on the way out.
>

>       Hmmm, I see what you are saying.
>
>       I am trying to figure out how Cisco do this, because this is
> what they do in the Cisco LocalDirector and it works. I will investigate
>       further.

Apparently L4 switches check both layer2 (data-link) and layer3 (IP)
information before taking a decision.

Linux treats the packet at layer2 first. There it goes through bridging code,
it sees that the packet is not local and is forwarded as-is. It does not
arrive in layer3 processing code, where LVS works.

Probably if you do proxy-arp on the director with the default gateway's
address it may work. That way you have bridging in one direction (defgw->RS)
and routing in the other (RS-proxyarp->director->defgw).

Or if you can push the packet from the bridging code into the IP code it may
also work. This implies patching the kernel.

 Radu-Adrian Feurdean
mailto: raf @ chez.com
"The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should,
therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense." (Dijkstra)