'Hidden' questions

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 'Hidden' questions
From: Kelly Corbin <kcorbin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:44:39 -0500
I'm trying to setup a LVS cluster using ipvs, heartbeat and ldirectord with a LVS-Tun architecture. I'm not using the configure scripts, but I am consulting them for setup reference. Here is my question: in the rc.lvs_tun script generated, the interface hiding seems to be done twice. First like this:

$ECHO 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden

Then this:

$ECHO 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/${SHORT_DEV}/hidden

I understand the second line, but wouldn't the first one make the entire machine invisible (i.e. never responding to any ARP requests on any interface and could never be connected to)? Won't the RIP not be accessible?

I've read about the whole ARP problem, but I'm still confused about this a little bit.

This is running on Linux realservers, of course, with kernel 2.4.6-xfs and the hidden patch.

For my own bootup scripts, do I need the first line?

Thanks for any insight anyone has on this.

Kelly

-- Kelly Corbin
-- Systems Administrator
--