Suspecting bug when there is a lot of connections..

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Suspecting bug when there is a lot of connections..
Cc: herve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Hervé Guehl <guehlh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Oct 2001 09:31:24 +0200
Hi, I made a little with lvs simply forward the http port with a lvs nat
entry.. Then I use hammerhead (http://hammerhead.sourceforge.net/) to
test the behaviour of the stuff under heavy load.

My linux LVS box hanged (no kernel panic .. but the machine freezed, was
around 28000 inactive connections).
After reboot.. I could see in the log something that looks like a kind
of "mempry overflow"..

Here's what I could see :

Oct 11 00:08:51 tds101 keepalived[1428]: TCP connection to
[192.168.39.199:80] success.
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
^@^@^@^@(3)  - end the application or thread (and invoke exit handlers)
Tcl_DeleteExitHandler [Tcl_Finalize] (3)  - end the application or
thread (and invoke exit handlers)
Tcl_DeleteExitHandler [Tcl_FinalizeThread] (3)  - end the application or
thread (and invoke exit handlers)
Tcl_DeleteFileHandler (3)  - associate procedure callbacks with files or
devices (Unix only)
Tcl_DeleteFileHandler [CrtFileHdlr] (3)  - associate procedure callbacks
with files or devices (Unix only)
Tcl_DeleteFileHandler [Tcl_CreateFileHandler] (3)  - associate procedure
callbacks with files or devices (Unix only)
Tcl_DeleteHashEntry  (3)  - procedures to manage hash tables
Tcl_DeleteHashEntry [Hash] (3)  - procedures to manage hash tables

Tried with lvs 0.8.1 and lvs 0.9.4. Kernel is 2.4.10

After recompiling ip_vs modules with "#define CONFIG_IP_VS_TAB_BITS
16" this behaviour was more difficult to obtain (I have only one
"hammer" machine)..

I dont know about the behaviour of LVS when reaching the max connection
but would it be possible to drop new connections in this case and push
something in syslog ? (as does iptables ..)

Another thing seems, that packet unrelated to ipvs contrack are dropped
without any message.. Would it be possible to have a message or to let
the packets go thru the machine ??

Regards
Hervé