mod_headers and mod_expires not working on LVS system

To: "LVS" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: mod_headers and mod_expires not working on LVS system
From: "Zachariah Mully" <zmully@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:52:27 -0400
Hello all-
        I have a rather strange problem with the webservers in my LVS cluster.
I want to enable the modules expires and headers so that I can play
tricks with a customer's incorrectly setup proxy cache ("but our access
statistics don't match yours" crap like that). I am running apache
1.3.20 with tomcat 3.2.3 (all the problem docs are straight, static html
files though).
I run configure this way for apache:
$1> ./configure \
"--with-layout=Apache" \
"--prefix=/home/apache" \
"--enable-module=so" \
"--enable-module=rewrite" \
"--enable-module=headers" \
"--enable-module=expires" \
"--enable-shared=max" \

then I make and make install.

On the two other machines (same configure statement, same apache, these
are mirrors) when I place this .htaccess file in the desired directory,
the headers are returned with the proper expires and cache-control
entries.
.htaccess:
### activate mod_expires
ExpiresActive On
### Expire .gif's 1 month from when they're accessed
ExpiresByType image/gif A2592000
ExpiresDefault "now"
### Apply a Cache-Control header to *.htm
<Files *.htm>
Header append Cache-Control "public, must-revalidate"
</Files>

returned sample header:
200 OK
Cache-Control: max-age=0, public, must-revalidate
Connection: close