Re: Slightly OT(?) - Linux 2.4 & "DSR" (aka Switchback)

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Slightly OT(?) - Linux 2.4 & "DSR" (aka Switchback)
From: Jared Reimer <jared@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:45:55 -0800
Followup, for the curious:

There was a bug in the old version of the Foundry ServerIronXL load balancer we were using that caused DSR/Switchback to fail when the eth0 interface on the Linux box was in a different IP network than, say, the VIP (bound to dummy0 or whatever). Upgrading to the latest Foundry OS fixed that. As for the ARP problem, the "hidden" patch trick fixed it nicely. I now have a working Linux 2.4.x box doing DSR/Switchback behind a ServerIron.

Thanks,

Jared

At 06:56 AM 11/5/2001 -0500, Joseph Mack wrote:
Jared Reimer wrote:

> We are doing something very similar to LVS, except using Foundry
> ServerIronXL load balancers on the front end with a heterogeneous cluster
> of servers on the backend.  We are migrating to 100% Linux 2.4 slowly.  We
> have things working nicely for the most part with our SGI IRIX servers, but
> the Linux 2.4 servers (Redhat 7.2 stock SMP kernel) do not seem to support
> DSR/Switchback (e.g. bind the real IP to the loopback or dummy interface
> and have the hidden server reply directly to the client, without NAT or
> involvement of the front-end load balancer).

The nomenclature that other load balancers use (eg DSR) is quite different
to ours. I have not heard of switchback.

It also also appears that the code that some of the load balancers
are using works differently than LVS, but I haven't got my hands on any of these
boxes to see how they work. Still to the client they all do much the
same thing as LVS and are setup similarly

We put IP's onto the dummy interface all the time on Linux. Can you
tell us more about what goes wrong?