RE: Questions about LVS prior to implementation

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Questions about LVS prior to implementation
Cc: "'dcurry@xxxxxxxxxx'" <dcurry@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:41:04 -0800
|> My current needs are to set up a load balancing solution for
|> my QA team
|> that is both effective and inexpensive.  Could someone point
|> me towards
|> any kind of benchmarking data regarding the number of 'messages' or
|> packets were sent to x number of 'real servers' on a
|> particular hardware
|> configuration?

The largest LVS clusters in use today are with real.com and the JANET squid
cluster, at least that I'm aware of.  These configurations are *LARGE*, and
certainly quite a bit larger than your configuration below.

Actual documentation, try http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Documents.html

|> The machine I intend (only system currently available) to use is a P3
|> 450 w/256MB ram.  I need to configure this machine to load
|> balance for
|> two sets of real servers.  Is this plausible?

a p3-450 is capable of saturating a 100mb link with no problems, with any of
the architectures

|> I have 5 apache servers with the above listed hardware
|> configuration.  I
|> also have 2 Sun Enterprise 450 servers fro the 'application'
|> servers.  I
|> will need to be able to adjust the number of apache servers
|> up or down
|> 'on the fly' for the QA team.  Will the balancer have to
|> come down for
|> this change or does it have a means for altering the configuration in
|> real time?

changes are made on the fly, of course you don't have to take services down
:)

|> Will the LVS system support the Sun application servers?  I

Yes, but read about the arp problem.  Your Sun servers need to listen for
the VIP on some interface but not arp back.  Usually people use aliases
("virtual interfaces").
|> noticed in
|> the 'mini-how-to' that there is a script to be executed on
|> each of the
|> 'real servers'.  Will this script function correctly in Solaris 8?

see above.  if NT/2000 can do it then Solaris can, too :).  There's a way to
do it, it just might take a little bit of archive-searching to find out how
to not arp on solaris.   if you have big problems let me know and I will ask
one of my solaris guru friends.

cheers

Peter