Tuning LVS

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Tuning LVS
From: "Andreas Jung" <andreas@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:55:01 -0500
I am currently trying to tune LVS. I ran machines (everyone running
Apache 1.3.20) behind a LVS (NAT, round-robin/wlc) machine. I made some
benchmarks with a wrapper around apachebench that varys the size of the
payload,
number of threads when running against the LVS.

Here are the results:

100   ; 25   ; 580.43 ; 196.19
100   ; 50   ; 527.47 ; 178.28
100   ; 100  ; 513.75 ; 173.65
100   ; 250  ; 587.47 ; 198.56
1000  ; 25   ; 770.17 ; 938.68
1000  ; 50   ; 740.39 ; 902.38
1000  ; 100  ; 713.44 ; 869.55
1000  ; 250  ; 714.02 ; 870.25
10000 ; 25   ; 323.02 ; 3233.36
10000 ; 50   ; 345.41 ; 3457.47
10000 ; 100  ; 308.51 ; 3088.09
10000 ; 250  ; 287.17 ; 2874.44
25000 ; 25   ; 164.03 ; 4044.59
25000 ; 50   ; 163.07 ; 4021.18
25000 ; 100  ; 198.44 ; 4892.99
50000 ; 25   ; 108.25 ; 5311.72
50000 ; 50   ; 128.76 ; 6318.36
100000 ; 25   ; 15.38 ; 1505.62
100000 ; 50   ; 7.47  ; 731.93

Col 1: bytes of the requested document
Col 2: number of threads
Col 3: Requests/Second
Col 4: KB transfered/second

The testscript ran every test several times. So the numbers
are average numbers.

I wonder why the LVS only transfers about 800-900 KB/second when the
document size is 1.000 bytes but is able to transfer 6300kb/second
with a document size of 50.000 bytes. And why there a break in the
performance
with documents that are 100.000 bytes large ?

The LVS server is a PenIII with 733 MHz. The five servers are Pen-III/1GHz.

Andreas Jung

   -    Andreas Jung                           Zope Corporation        -
  -   EMail: andreas@xxxxxxxx                http://www.zope.com      -
 -  "Python Powered"                       http://www.python.org     -
  -   "Makers of Zope"                       http://www.zope.org      -
   -            "Endings are just Beginnings"                          -