Re: VRRP and the kernel

To: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: VRRP and the kernel
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 00:39:51 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> On 2001-11-23T10:50:43,
>    Alexandre CASSEN <alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> > The problem : Linux kernel doesn't permit to work with many MAC on a single
> > NIC (only one at a time)
>
> Is this true?  Apparently, it is possible in some way, I am just not sure how
> - I recall that Alan told me about how it could be fudged with the code
> currently implementing multicasting, where you also have to react to multiple
> MACs etc.

        May be using multicast MACs for non-multicast VIPs and with
ALLMULTI enabled (or PROMISC, who cares on switched hub)? Because I
don't see how uploading multicast filters will work with all net
drivers. Of course, I'm newbie in the multicasting but may be there
are other reserved MACs for multicasting except 01:00:5E?

> Maybe Alan Cox or DaveM explain?
>
> Sincerely,
>     Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

Regards