Re: Running multiple services on one real-server

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Running multiple services on one real-server
From: Radu-Adrian Feurdean <raf@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:51:23 +0100
On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:34:34 -0500
"Bruce Pennypacker" <bruce+lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I looked through the documentation on the web site, and although it does a
> good job of showing how to set up different services on a single realserver
> I couldn't find anything really helpful in setting up two instances of the
> same service.  Virtually all the configuration I've done has been via the
> configure perl script (version 0.8) and it doesn't appear that it's designed
> to deal with this sort of configuration (I may be completley wrong here).
>
> So is it possible to have two VIP's handling the same service on a single
> realserver, and if so how do I go about setting it up properly?

You can run as many virtual services as you want on a director provided that
each service is uniquely identifiable (either via proto/VIP:port tuple or by
fwmark). We have mutliple HTTP services on different IPs and one some of these
there are also load-balanced FTP servers.

I really don't know what that config script does, since we use ldirectord to
set up production services (and test servies are added by hand).

If in doubt, try ldirectord. It also does adding/removing real servers
according to their availability (really useful if you want to fully benfit of
loadbalancing). Config is quite easy.