Re: Backup and local nodes

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Backup and local nodes
From: Sébastien Bonnet <Sebastien.Bonnet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:52:20 +0100
> Ok, this might be ok if you use piranha. But then you have to
> address the problem in the piranha mailinglist. Here we provide
> help for plain vanilla kernel and setup using the provided tools
> from the LVS package.

Actually, I am not sure if it's a piranha problem, or more likely
something that can't be done using LVS. So, I've posted in both lists.

>> [root@cluster root]# ipvsadm -Ln IP Virtual Server version 0.8.1
>> (size=65536) Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags ->
>> RemoteAddress:Port          Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
>> TCP 172.22.48.212:80 lc
>>  -> 172.16.0.1:80             Local   80         0         0
>>  -> 172.16.0.102:80           Masq     1         0         0
>>  -> 172.16.0.101:80           Masq     2         0         0
>
> And that's exactly why I asked you to show me the output. If you read
> your output carefully and reread your first email, you might notice,
> that you wanted to set the director's weight to 8 but you obviously set
> it to 80! And thus your observation is absolutely correct and has to be
> like that. If you want the balancing like you stated RS:RS:LB=1:1:8, you
> have to set it up that way. Currently you run 1:1:80.

Yes sure, this output shows a weight of 80 for the director. But as
piranha continiously updates the weights to reflect the load on each
machine, the weights changed since the first post.

When I tested, it was 1:1:8 for sure. Anyway, the problem was not from
the weights nor lvs, but from my apaches' configuration (see previous
messages).

> I don't follow the piranha mailinglist. I'm glad your second
> problem has been solved too.

It hasn't ! Only the first has been solved, but the second, involving
local nodes and backup director has not been solved yet.

--
Sébastien Bonnet
  Ingénieur d'exploitation