RE: LVS-DR (2 Servers with multiple RS) more then one cluster pos sibl e

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: LVS-DR (2 Servers with multiple RS) more then one cluster pos sibl e ?
From: Paul Lantinga <prl@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:52:21 -0500

> > is it possible to use the lvs-director (direct routing) to
> > make 2 clusters ?
> >
> > eg.
> >
> > lvs director 1 nic two IP's xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
> >
> > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx directs to RS a,b,c,d
> > yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy directs to RS e,f,g,h
>
> Yes, LVS can do this. Just set up two virtual services with
> the appropriate
> real servers.

My first thought was that this would/could compound arp issues, but after extended pondering, I don't believe that it will cause any more problems than those that may have already existed.  I'm pretty sure that heartbeat wouldn't have any problem switching this over, but what happens on the ethernet switch when only 1 service fails over and the gratuitous arp is sent out?  Will the switch clear all the entries for the MAC's involved?

-Prl.
Q9