Re: Can LVS do this?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Can LVS do this?
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:58:16 -0500
Gre7g Luterman wrote:

> We have solid hardware running FreeBSD, Apache, and Mysql off of a
> business grade DSL line.  But there are times when our ISP gets
> bottlenecked and even though our server is sitting on its thumbs,
> waiting for requests, the clients are not getting good response time.
>
> What I would like to do is set up N systems located in different
> places with different ISPs and then set up some sort of external
> monitor that can watch them and direct traffic... balance traffic not
> only based on load but on performance.  Is this something that LVS
> can do?

the short answer is no.

The long answer:

o the classic LVS has one connection to the client. LVS is a way for multiple
servers to look like a single fast reliable server. It
looks like a single server to the client (and to routers etc).

o Julian is leading an effort to have multiple routes to the outside
world for the director at one site. It isn't ready yet and you still have
only one site although multiple connections (which can be from independant
suppliers).

o Big companies (eg IBM doing load balancing for multiple server
sites serving a single event, eg the Olympics) change the priorities
in routers (using BGP4 for instance) to re-direct traffic on the fly.
This is usually done by direct intervention from the keyboard rather
than automatically.

Another answer: super sparrow (use google, or look at the LVS-HOWTO)
allows servers at independant sites to receive requests from clients
based on the internet distance (number of AS hops) between clients
and servers. This could be modified to incorporate information about
conditions on each of the links, but would be a bit of work.