Re: VRRP & sync_instance & low-level NIC monitoring

To: Alexandre Cassen <Alexandre.Cassen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: VRRP & sync_instance & low-level NIC monitoring
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 01:05:52 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Alexandre Cassen wrote:

> Ok, so for VMAC for example you send via netlink an proxy_arp update query
> with the VMAC/VIP wanted ?

        No, medium_id is completely different from iparp.
With iparp the VRRP usage can include:

# Send reply with src MAC=VMAC against remote probes asking for VIP
ip arp add table input to VIP llsrc VMAC

# Announce VMAC as src lladdr when announcing VIP in our probes
ip arp add table output from VIP llsrc VMAC

        For IP traffic from VIP you still have to use src
laddr=NIC's MAC, iparp mangles only the ARP talks. Are the above
operations correct for VRRP?

> Then using this medium_id you can replies to ARP request for non local-ARP
> addresses ?

        Yes, medium_id can control proxy ARP. OTOH, iparp will
additionally control ARP but both features are independent.

> Sounds very nice,
>
> Best regs,
> Alexandre

Regards