Re: LVS with JAVA RMI Registry?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS with JAVA RMI Registry?
From: "mack@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:02:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 jlobascher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Have configured an LVS_DR and it is working well for http and ssh but
> our in-house application is failing.

good, so your network must be configured correctly.

> The app is a 'pure' java client server application (both client and
> server components are standalone java apps).  When the client connects
> directly to the real server (without the director) everything works ok -
> but if I set the client to use the director the client is unable to find
> any of the services bound to the real servers RMI-Registry...

I don't know anything about your app. Is it a single port service?
Use netstat -an on the realserver when the java client is connected
to it directly, not through the director, to look for the connections
from/to the client.

Are there transitory call backs from the realserver?
You can test this by changing to LVS-NAT and nat'ing all
clients on the realservers. rsh as service fails on LVS-DR for this reason
but works for LVS-NAT.

ALternately you could handle this by providing a route
client<->RIP.

>   -> 192.168.8.31:ssh             Route   1      0          0
> TCP  stout-lvs:rmi-reg wlc
>   -> 192.168.8.31:rmi-reg         Route   10     1          2

I assume the client is hung at this stage?

Joseph Mack, mack@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux Virtual Server project
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org