Re: Re : [ANNOUNCE] tcpsp 0.0.1

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re : [ANNOUNCE] tcpsp 0.0.1
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 16:51:05 +0800 (CST)
Hi Alexandre,

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Alexandre CASSEN wrote:

> >I want to announce a new small software of tcp splicing for the Linux
> >kernel. It can be used to speed up layer-7 switching, web proxy and
> >application firewall running in the user space.
> >
> >However, it is an initial release, and in the early development. So, you
> >are welcome to work on it, and let's make it useful together.
> >
> >It is available at http://linux-vs.org/software/tcpsp/tcpsp-0.0.1.tar.gz.
> >See the README for how to use it.
>
> Thanks for the excellent work. After I have finish some netlink reflection
> for keepalived, I will contribute to this soft since it is in my devel
> aera. Have already started some alpha work on this with your previous draft

Great! :)

> code. IMHO, layer7 switching integration can be done very quickly using
> this piece of technology.

Yes, it is easier to speed up existing application layer proxies using
this technology. When I was doing some works on ktcpvs, I thought that it
is complicated to implment application protocol handling inside the
kernel, almost all the things need to be rewritten, and there are many
application protocols, it would really require a lot of efforts to make a
pure layer-7 switching inside the kernel of full functionality. So, I
started to work on the tcp splicing code, to speed up existing application
layer proxies running the user space first. However, ktcpvs is more
flexible to handle data inside the kernel and is easier to be extended, so
I will still work on it. :)

Best regards,

Wensong