X11-Cluster

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: X11-Cluster
From: Severin Olloz <S.Olloz@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:22:59 +0200
Hello together...

I set up a X11-DR-Linux-Virtual-Server and it works good. The clients make a
XDMCP-Query with a command like this:

X :1 -query 192.168.120.140

and the director of the cluster sends the UDP packets on port 177 (XDMCP) to
the real server. The realserver becomes the request and opens a X11-session
for the user. My ipvsadm table looks like this:

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port        Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
UDP  192.168.120.140:xdmcp wlc persistent 360
  -> node1:xdmcp                  Local   100    0          0
  -> node2:xdmcp                  Route  100    0          0

You see, the director is a realserver too.

But sometimes (2 or 3 times in a day), the client makes a request, the
X11-server starts on the worksation, but there is no login window from the
kdm-daemon on the server. I listen on the ethernet device (eth0) of the
director and see many many XDMCP-UDP-requests to the director. I shut down
the X11-server on the workstation, but the XDMCP-traffic remains existing. I
must plug off and plug in the network cable and after that, all works fine
again.

What can that be?

Can it be, that the client send UDP-packets and 1 packet goes to the
real-server one and the other packet goes to the real server two -> chaos
theory in action!?

I set the XDMCP-servive to persistent mode, but this ist not the solution,
because the problem remains existing. Must I set the persistent-timeout
higher than the 360 seconds!?

Have somebody a idea, what it can be?

Thanks very much for the help.

--