Re: Including monitoring tools

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Including monitoring tools
From: Mustapha Hadim <Mustapha.Hadim@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 13:46:38 +0200
Hi Joe,

Joseph Mack a écrit :

> Mustapha Hadim wrote:
> > it would be very important if the LVS
> > allows to include some control on the director node, in particular
> > monitoring
> > system ressources. Namely, I wonder wether it's possible to add, in the
> > director's
> > code, some system monitoring tools, in order to make decisions regarding
> > the load balancing
> > of the servers ?
>
> There are lots of components for LVS which will help monitoring,
> but they are all over the place in the HOWTO (which I guess I
> should fix)
>
> There's MRTG and LVSGSP
>
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.3
>
> there's a MIB
>
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.4
>
> there's statistics
>
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.2
>
> some philosophy about monitoring agents and why they should be separate from
> the director kernel code
>
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-21.html#ss21.12
>
> There aren't any guis or interfaces designed for LVS but there's some
> from the cluster/beowulf world that could be adapted to LVS. The first
> listed below is quite simple, while the second is probably more complicated
> than needed for LVS.
>
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-1.html#ss1.13
>
> Then you have ipvsadm the user interface to LVS to alter the loadbalancing
> behaviour of LVS
>
> Joe

Many thanks for your response.

I had a quick look to chapter 23 of the documentation, and it seems that my
requirments
could be satisfied. Indeed, a more precis formulation of my problem is :

Would it possible to include within the LVS, system monitoring tools, in order
to get the
characteristics of, each real server and each connected client (CPU use, memory
load, network
bandwith, etc ...), and then make the load balancing according to the collected
informations ?. The response seems to be YES. In particular,  the ipvsadm user
interface seems to
be the place, where I have to make some changes, and add the system monitoring
tools. Right ?

Mustapha