Re: director synch demon and Linux-HA [Was: Hello].

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lmb@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: director synch demon and Linux-HA [Was: Hello].
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:56:14 -0400
Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> > Are you saying that heartbeat only detects loss of contact over the
> > heartbeat
> > channels?
>
> Yes.

OK

so if I have an IP in the haresources file, it will be moved on failover,
but if I just delete it, to simulate failure, then heartbeat won't notice?

> > Does heartbeat monitor resources on each director and send messages
> > that the node has lost some functionality or other and that the resources
> > should be moved?
>
> No.

This isn't what I was hoping for, but it simplifies my strategy a whole lot
and at least I know what I'm dealing with.

are the status commands that heartbeat sends to the script(s) just to see
if the resource that the script controls is up|down and hence if it's safe
to do the failover, or can the status command be used to detect health too?

Thanks