Network funkyness

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Network funkyness
From: Daniel Burke <smstnitc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 07:46:32 -0700 (PDT)
In anticipation of our capacity requirements growing,
we had decided it was necessary to increase the
connection table size.  The value it was at was 16,
based on our calculations we needed to bump it to 26
to handle what were will be throwing at it.

Everything was working fine for the last several
months until we made this change.  We did this:

1.  Shutdown heartbeat on the load balancer so it
failed over to the secondary.
2.  Make the kernel change and recompile/reboot.
3.  Bring heartbeat back up on the primary.

Everything was working fine, but we decided to leave
the secondary with the old value in case we had
problems we could just fail over to it and fix the
problem.

What we found was, after 4 hours (or pretty close!),
the director stopped forwarding to the real servers on
port 443.  Port 80 seemed to be connecting fine, but
it automatically redirects to port 443.  (ldirector
had not removed any real servers from the list
either).  We failed over to the secondary and all was
well for about 4 more hours, then the problem happened
again!  Failed back over t the primary (still
configured for the larger connection table) and it was
working fine for a little while.

After an hour or so, machines on the same segment
could not get to 2 of the 3 VIP's on the director, but
I could from my PC, which looked to me like the
problem was starting to assert itself again.  So we
failed over to the secondary, rolled back to the old
kernel on the primary, and braught everthing back up
to the exact same state it was before we decided to
make any changes.

My question is, is this IP address funkyness actually
related to lvs in any way?  Is there anything anyone
can suggest we look at to trace the problem?

A co-worker just pointed out that we did have a very
short time yesterday (a couple minutes) that one of
the VIP's was not accessable from the same segment...
whatever that indicates...

We're using direct routing... kernel 2.4.18, with lvs
patch 1.0.2 and the hidden patch, on a redhat 7.2
system, but I installed from a clean kernel source,
instead of using redhat's patched source.

Very frustrating and very scarey... the B.O.S.S. is
starting to question our use of lvs :(

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.