Re: Network funkyness

To: Daniel Burke <smstnitc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Network funkyness
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:48:29 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Daniel Burke wrote:

> In anticipation of our capacity requirements growing,
> we had decided it was necessary to increase the
> connection table size.  The value it was at was 16,
> based on our calculations we needed to bump it to 26
> to handle what were will be throwing at it.

        It is insane to use 26. That means 2^26 * space for
2 pointers. On x86 it takes 512MB just for allocating
empty hash table with 2^26 d-linked lists. Refer to the
HOWTO for calculating the best hash table size according
to the number of connections. You can select the size (POWER)
in this way:

2^POWER = AVERAGE_NUM_CONNS/10

The magic value 10 in this case is the average number of
conns expected in one d-linked list, the lookup is slower
for more conns.

Example:
        POWER=16 => 65536 rows => 655360 conns, ~10 on each row

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>