Re: 2 box LVS with HA

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2 box LVS with HA
From: Nenad Steric <nenad.steric@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:29:04 +0200
Hi Alexandre,

thank you for the explanation,
i understand why the output of ipvsadm means that everything should be working.

Still when A is running *only* A is answering all requests.
the output of ipvsadm :
TCP  lvs:http rr persistent 5
  -> linux10.local:http           Local   1      0          0   - my localhost
(=A)
  -> linux5:http               Masq    1      0          0   - the other
machine (=B)
should mean that also linux5 (=B) is also serving requests.
Am i right ?
If yes then there has to be a problem somewhere.

Or is this simply the meaning of "active/passive" ?
How would i create an "active/active"-configuration (=loadbalancing) with http ?

Realtek NIC's (RTL-8139) not working :
AFAIK this is the chipset used in most cheap NICs nowadays ,
probably i could even send you a spare one if you like
(and the shipping cost isn't to high).

Thanks

Nenad

my keepalived.conf is as follows:
192.168.1.10  = A
192.168.1.5   = B
192.168.1.110 = LVS (VIP)
! Configuration File for keepalived

global_defs {
   notification_email {
     root
   }
   notification_email_from nenad@xxxxxx
   smtp_server 192.168.1.10
   smtp_connect_timeout 30
   lvs_id linux10
}

vrrp_sync_group test1 {
        VI_1
        VI_2
}

vrrp_instance VI_1 {
    state MASTER
    interface eth1
    virtual_router_id 51
    priority 100
    authentication {
        auth_type PASS
        auth_pass nenad
    }
    virtual_ipaddress {
        192.168.1.110/24
    }

vrrp_instance VI_2 {
    state MASTER
    interface eth1
    virtual_router_id 52
    priority 100
    authentication {
        auth_type PASS
        auth_pass nenad
    }
    virtual_ipaddress {
        192.168.1.120/24
    }
}

virtual_server 192.168.1.110 80 {
    delay_loop 6
    lb_algo rr
    lb_kind NAT
    persistence_timeout 5
    protocol TCP
    #virtualhost www.my.com          # The VirtualHost string to use
                                    # in the GET query.

    sorry_server 192.168.1.100 80

    real_server 192.168.1.5 80 {
        weight 1
        TCP_CHECK {
                connect_timeout 20

        }
    }
    real_server 192.168.1.10 80 {
        weight  1
        HTTP_GET  {
                url {
                        path /index.html
                        digest a524cfc95b37f75c2278a713d6f94ecc
                }
                connect_timeout 3
        }
        connection_timeout 10
    }
}

Alexandre Cassen wrote:

No need to configure any other tools.

Btw. Keepalived does not work with my RTL-8139 based Cards,
it only reports "ethx down".
I switched to some 3Com cards which seem to work fine.

Yes, since I don t have realteck NIC I can not debug this issue.

Best regards,
Alexandre