Re: ftp problem

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ftp problem
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 07:39:39 -0400
Stefan Peter wrote:

> In this case I still do not understand how can the PCI bus be so
> limitative?
>
> I have 32 bit/33 MHz PCI bus on the X330 IBM server. As a rough
> calculation, the speed of the PCI bus is 32000000 1/s * 32 bit = 976
> Mbit/s.

The problem is that PCI is a bus designed for bursts. It had a lot
of overhead. If you want sustained throughput (like for video) you need
another bus (eg AGP). The maximum ethernet throughput on a 33MHz PCI bus
is about 400Mbps. You can't get 1Gbps.

Your problem is at a much lower saturation, 8Mbps. I really don't know
what that's about.