Clients sent to failed LVS-DR real server not in IPVS table.

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Clients sent to failed LVS-DR real server not in IPVS table.
From: "Lorn Kay" <lorn_kay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:44:13 +0000
Hi All,

In an LVS-DR cluster we remove one of the real servers (using ldirectord) and clients are still sent to the real server even though it is not in the IPVS table--even after 12+ hours.

(A tcpdump shows that the connection is going through the Director and not just going directly to the LVS-DR real server due to an ARP problem.)

If I remove the loopback alias that has the cluster IP address from the LVS-DR Real Server (with it still removed from the IPVS table) the next attempt by the same client to connect to the cluster hangs for awhile then fails. If you then attempt to connect again from the client the LVS Director sends you to a real server properly listed in the IPVS table.

I've upgraded to the latest 2.4.19 kernel and IPVS code (1.0.6) and we still have this problem.

Why would the Director send clients to a real server not in the table even after several hours of inactivity from the client?

My simple IPVS table looks like this:

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
 -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  172.24.150.90:23 wrr
 -> 172.24.150.92:23             Route   1      0          0
 -> 127.0.0.1:23                 Local   1      1          2

The IP address of the real server removed from the cluster is 172.24.150.94.

--L