Re: telnet but no http???

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jonathan@xxxxxxx, D.@xxxxxxx, Proulx@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: telnet but no http???
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:54:14 -0400
"Jonathan D. Proulx" wrote:

> I can get telnet to work but not http (Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) Debian
> GNU/Linux). Attempts to connect to http://lvs-test result in a network
> error (rst after the initial ack).

> I have set the listen address in the httpd.conf on the realservers.

is apache listening to the VIP and _not_ to the RIP?

> my config:

looks fine

> running the resultant rc.lvs removes the default route on the director
> so that no connections off the local /24 subnet are possible,

it's a design feature

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-13.html#ss13.6

you can add the route back if you like, but it would be more secure to
put a separate IP on the outside of the director (possibly on the same NIC as
the VIP) and to connect from that.

> this

adding the default route or not having it?

> also seem to cut off access to the realservers which I don't fully
> understand.

> So initially all connections just hang till timeout.
>
> Adding a default route on the director allows telnet through to the
> realservers

via the LVS or directly?

> and the above mentioned RST problem on http.  Without
> mucking with routing a client on the same /24 gets the same result.

same as what?