Re: ping hanging?

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ping hanging?
From: "Ben" <bench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:07:50 -0700
> Can you tell us more about the network topology? E.g. are you pinging
> the VIP, a RIP? Are you pinging from within the LVS cluster or through
> the LVS machine or via a dedicated zone?

I am pinging a set of RIP from the LVS as well as the Big Brother display
server, which is outside of my LVS cluster entirely. So, most pings go out
one interface, and one ping goes out the other. Most of the time, I've
noticed ping hanging while pinging the Big Brother server (eth0), but I've
seen it hang pinging the RIPs as well (eth1).

> > I don't have this problem on any other machine I run Big Brother on, so
> > I'm wondering if maybe this is some side effect of LVS...? I'm running
> > on a 2.4.18 kernel with LVS 1.0.3.
>
> Where is big brother running on, RS or director? Where does the problem
> show up? Any logfile anomalies?

I have a Big Brother client doing connection tests to all the RIPs, and that
runs on the LVS director. It also does connection tests to the BB display
server, which is outside the LVS. I'm not really sure what you're asking
about where the problem shows up.... the problem is that Big Brother spawns
/bin/ping and waits for it to complete, but it never does because it's stuck
(somehow) in recvmsg(), even though the code show that it passes recvmsg()
the MSG_DONTWAIT option.

There aren't any logfile abnormalities, unfortunately.