Re: ping hanging?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ping hanging?
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 23:50:25 +0200
Hello,

I am pinging a set of RIP from the LVS as well as the Big Brother display
server, which is outside of my LVS cluster entirely. So, most pings go out
one interface, and one ping goes out the other. Most of the time, I've
noticed ping hanging while pinging the Big Brother server (eth0), but I've
seen it hang pinging the RIPs as well (eth1).

I'm sorry, this is confusing me. But I think the essence of your explanation was, that the BB server is outside the LVS, right?

I have a Big Brother client doing connection tests to all the RIPs, and that
runs on the LVS director. It also does connection tests to the BB display

Ok, so far we have a BB client running on LVS and a server (also used to display the results) outside the LVS cluster. The BB client hangs while trying to ping. If you run a BB client on a non-LVS machine, it works.

server, which is outside the LVS. I'm not really sure what you're asking
about where the problem shows up.... the problem is that Big Brother spawns
/bin/ping and waits for it to complete, but it never does because it's stuck
(somehow) in recvmsg(), even though the code show that it passes recvmsg()
the MSG_DONTWAIT option.

I'm confused by the statement part "... every once in a while ..." because this is a bit flaky. Either it works or it doesn't, how can it work sometimes and sometimes not? Do you have any dynamically changing things running on the director? Or do you have any packet filter rules enabled?

There aren't any logfile abnormalities, unfortunately.

Ok. Did you set up the LVS by hand or did you use some tools like piranha or whatever is floating around?

If it is possible, could you test the BB client after a 'ipvsadm -C'?
Does manually pinging a RS work? or does it hang too?

Regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc