Re: memory use on long persistent connection (eg for e-commerce sites,

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: memory use on long persistent connection (eg for e-commerce sites, squids)
From: Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm.turnbull@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:09:59 +0100
2 on topic questions at the bottom honest !

> Isn't this a bit of a pain? How do you handle the crash recovery? Do you
> have a healthcheck script that will restart the IIS or do you get
> informed and then you need to powercycle the IIS server?

Its not to bad I use NT2k built in Service checker that restarts IIS on failure. (normaly takes about 20 seconds) Server re-boots are v.rare.

Current live site has a CISCO 416 local director in front of it that detects 8 failures (ACKS ?) in a row then takes the real server out of action for 1 minute + (until it comes back online)

Sometimes however IIS crashes but still manages to respond to HTTP GET requests (CISCO say this is a bug with IIS) and then the CISCO can't detect the real server failure...

Thats why I have LVS / Ldirectord under test at the moment so that I can force it to check for specific page and test result.

1) The only problem I have so far is that all the solutions I've tried for Non Arp interface on real servers seems to knock out windows file sharring (SMB/CIFS) which I use for ROBOCOPY replication of files...

2) Possible feature request ?
The CISCO has a slow start option i.e. bring the real server back online slowly in order to not overload it.. Without this option our real servers will sometimes continously crash as soon as they are brought online 'cause the load is to high... I think it's 'cause IIS caches the script first time it runs and this takes about 8 secconds, and if a rush of people ask for a page while the script is compiling then IIS dies.
 Could this be made an option in LVS ?
I know you could probably fake it using WLC and a mod on ldirectord but that doesn't sound the right way to do it.

BTW did I say thanks for a great product ?

--

Regards,

Malcolm Turnbull

IT Manager