Re: LVS with multi homing

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS with multi homing
From: "Matthew S. Crocker" <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:35:38 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Lim Khoon Seng ( -HO-IT) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Any one who have idea about LVS and multi homing (Multi ISP), please
> guide

I use LVS in a multi-homed,  multi-router HSRP setup.

Each LVS is connected to a seperate switch
Each Router is connected to each switch and my upstream providers.
We use BGP4 to talk with our upstream providers.
Routers use HSRP failover for an IP address that the LVS boxes use as a
gateway address.

The LVS setup is pretty much a standard LVS-NAT install using keepalived.
Each LVS has a default route pointing to an IP address which is a virtual
IP and part of the HSRP router failover system.

The Routers are standard cisco 7500 series running BGP4 between themselves
and my providers.  They also run HSRP (Hot Swap Router Protocol) between
their ethernet interfaces.

With my setup I can lose a link, a router, a switch or an LVS box and not
go down.

-Matt

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 746-2760
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 746-3704
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com