Re: Reason for using LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Reason for using LVS
From: Malcolm Turnbull <Malcolm.Turnbull@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:51:36 +0000
I'm not an expert but :

> 1) client not having to refresh their browser

Not really possible, if the real server has not been detected as down by an agent (yet) then the director will keep forwarding. Even commercial NAT balancers that detect connection failures on the way back will wait for 8 or so failures before assuming the box is down...

My health checks are 5 seconds, and as people click every 3-8 secs I'm not too worried about a page refresh...

Commercial agents running on the real servers might be quicker at detecting failure but I doubt it.

> 2) client need not reauthenticate (for https connection)

Eh ? Do you mean re-negotiate keys (which is transparent i..e no refresh required.)

Or do you mean password authentication which needs to be real server independent for a cluster (i.e. persistent) no need for dist file system just use the same DB for all real server authentication.

Regards,
Malcolm.