Server Application with Primary Server & Backup Server

Subject: Server Application with Primary Server & Backup Server
From: "Gregor Goestl" <gregor.goestl.da@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:04:12 +0100
Hi All!

We want to realize a high available low cost server for a proprietary server
application. We have to servers, where one acts as the primary server, and
the other as backup server. The server application runs on both servers, but
only one is active. A database is needed too, which is replicated via a
private network interface.

We want to use heartbeat to check if the other server is down and mon for
monitoring the server applications, databases and so on.

Now I have some questions, and I hope you could help me with my problems ...

1. How can I trigger a failover between the primary server and the backup
server?
Must I turn of heartbeat with /etc/init.d/heartbeat stop or is ther another
availability to do this? (Could it be done with the Heartbeat API?)

2. If the primary server is back again, a handover from the backup server is
triggered. Is it possible to prevent this behaviour? Or are there some
reasons for doing this?

Please write some of your experiences with heartbeat mon & high availability
that could help me!

Thanks, a late merry christmas ;-) and a happy new year (for those who
celebrate this ...)
Gregor Goestl