Re: Balancing multiple services on realservers

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Balancing multiple services on realservers
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:24:46 -0500
Matthias Krauss wrote:

> Now i'm looking for a new following solution:
> All 3 Webhosts have a database engine underneath (local), the web <-> engine
> traffic goes via ip (the engines are offering a listen socket), in my current
> szenario the traffic goes through local.
>
> I would like to have those engines also balanced so that the 3 webs are
> talking maybe to another VIP which is balancing then the engines,
> currently thats not possible because
> if i make the webs talking to the vip where the engines are then the request
> comes always through local because of the loopback IF which is answering the
> local<->local request no matter if i use the VIP or Localhost addresses,
> they point always to the local engine.

In general you can't do this

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/mini-HOWTO/LVS-mini-HOWTO.html#gotchas

The other part of it is that I can't see what you're going to get
even if it did work. You want any of your webserver realservers
to talk to any of your database servers which are the same realservers.
If one fails then you're going to have to failout two layers of LVS.

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,
ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA. mailto:mack.joseph@xxxxxxx