mac adress problem ?

To: piranha-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: mac adress problem ?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Cyrille Mertes <cyrille@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:54:32 -0500
Hi,

I use a temporary load balancer, LBtemp, redhat 7.3, kernel 2.4.18-14, IPVS 1.0.4 (source) and piranha 0.7.0-3 (source). No hidden patch on this LB.

All my web servers are redhat 7.2, kernel 2.4.19 with hidden patch (hidden-2.4.19pre5-1.diff).

Everything is working fine with my current setup. I use direct routing.

Right now, I setup two new load balancer LB1 and LB2. One primary and on secondary : redhat 8.0, kernel 2.4.19 with hidden patch (hidden-2.4.19pre5-1.diff) and ipvs-patch (linux-2.4.19-ipvs-1.0.7.patch), ipvsadm-1.21 (source) and piranha-0.7.0-3 (source).

So, here is my problem....

If LB temp is working and I stop pulse on it, then start pulse on LB1 in order to swap on it, the load balancing is working fine.

If LB temp is working and I stop pulse on it, then start pulse on LB2 in order to swap on it, the load balancing doesn't work

If LB1 is working and I stop pulse on it, then start pulse on LB2 in order to swap on it, the load balancing doesn't work (so the failover will not work if my primary fail).

I think I found the problem on LB2. If I changed the ip of all the virtual server (in lvs.conf for piranha on LB2 and the loop back adress on all my web server) LB2 is working fine !!!!

So the problem is due to the mac adress ?? But how can you explain that I'm able to swith from to LBtemp to LB1 (no mac adress problem) but not from LBtemp to LB2 (mac adress problem ?) ??

Thanks for your help.

Cyrille.