Re: FreeBSD 5 and LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 5 and LVS
From: Ken McKittrick <klmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:36:00 -0500
Roberto

On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 08:37 AM, Roberto Nibali wrote:

Hi,

I'm using LVS/DR for my Mail system. With Redhat 7.3 machines acting as Director's for a cluster of FreeBSD SMTP servers using Keepalived for HA and service monitoring.

Ok.

Recently updated one of the SMTP server to from 4.7-stable to 5.0-current and found that LVS/DR works with FreeBSD 5.0-current as long as ip forwarding is enabled.

I do not believe that it has changed. So something else has changed if it worked before or you had ip_forwarding=1 before too.

Please convince yourself that the /etc/rc.network in FreeBSD 4.7-stable is the same as with the current CVS:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A4A823F73

It wasn't working before I turned on ip forwarding. I am absolutely positive on this point. My FreeBSD 4 machine doin't hav e ip forwarding turned on and they're doing 500K emails/day, so I'm pretty sure it's working fine.

I'm also doing LVS/DR which doesn't seem to be the most popular way of using LVS. The VIP's go in the loopback interface. I am told on the freebsd-current mailing list that they fixed a long standing bug where an ip packet coming in on an interface would get passed to all the other interfaces.

This can be done 2 ways. in /etc/rc.conf
gateway_enable="YES" # Set to YES if this host will be a gateway.
by manipulating a kernel state directly via sysctl
sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

The first yields the latter. So in fact there is only one way. What would be more interesting is, why you need ip_forward on a backend server. Check your settings in /etc/defaults/rc.conf or make a diff to the 4.7 one. There were changes related to sendmail defaults in this file lately.

True they, are 2 different ways to get to the same end point. I'm running postfix, but it shouldn't matter anyway.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc