Re: LVS+Virtual Hosting

Subject: Re: LVS+Virtual Hosting
From: "Jacob Coby" <jcoby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:55:18 -0500
> I'd rather not fill my httpd conf with all these
> domains.  I was either hoping that LVS can do some host
> header modifications or I'll have to make 4 VIP and
> each site have a distinct external ip.
>
> Any ideas if it does?

LVS sits too low to handle munging the HTTP headers.

Check out ServerAlias
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#serveralias), I think it
will do pretty much exactly what you want it to do with a minimal of fuss.
It's available in 1.3.x and 2.x, I only link to the 2.0 docs since they look
better.

You could even stick the aliases in another file (a_aliases.conf or
whatever) and include that into the VirtualHost section of Site A.  The only
real "problem" with this setup is that you have to bump apache (you can use
'apachectl graceful' if you don't have SSL) everytime you add a new alias or
aliases.

-Jacob