OLS 2003 BoF session

Subject: OLS 2003 BoF session
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:15:19 +0100
Hi there,

Yes, I'm still alive but just a little busy. I will reply to open discussions as soon as possible, so hold on. This is simply a short notice or more precisely an organisational email.

Joe and I (Lars?, Horms?, Wensong?, Julian?, ...) are certainly attending this year's OLS in Canada [http://www.linuxsymposium.org]. It has become the annual meeting point for us LVS guys over the past few years. We would like to know if other people are attending this symposium and if so, if there is a general interest in a BoF session where I would like to discuss:

o further LVS development (with regard on 2.6 kernels and functionality)
  - netfilter integration (I will attend Harald's BoF on netfilter)
  - IPsec load balancing [1]
  - new schedulers (byte/packet counting ones for example)
  - Jeremy's dynamic feedback framework
  - ktcpvs and TCP splicing (L7 balancing)
  - soft persistency [2]
  - port to other Unices

o problems with LVS
  - general setup issues (knowledge transfer)
  - fault tolerant setup (state synchronisation, keepalived && vrrpd)
  - using keepalived, piranha (there we would need someone that actually
    uses this software), ultramonkey (Horms, don't tell me you speak Jap. now)
  - security considerations (tcp defense mechanisms, QoS and iptables)

o documentation
  - existing monster howto
  - non-existing hackers guide
  - use cases for standard applications
  - define "standard naming scheme for load balancing terms"

o misc
  - which beer suits LVS best? (if there are less then 10 people attending the
    BoF I'll pay a round) [3]
  - is Dr. Wensong Zhang real or an AI robot?
  - how LVS changed sexual relationships of some of our mailinglist readers
  - create a nice logo for a LVS polo shirt

It would probably be on Wednesday, 23th of July 2003 at 6.30pm in the main hall and after 8pm in the "Elephant & Castle" pub with open end. Please reply soon as I have to register and plan the BoF with the organisators.

[1] http://www.linux-vs.org/~julian/LVS_IPSEC.txt
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual-server&m=103407779310426&w=2
[3] http://www.zeltser.com/humor/drinking.games.html

Thanks for your time and interest,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc